Title of Event: __________________________
Location and Time ( City and Country ): _______________________
Goal- What is the purpose of your IDL event ?
**Who? – Pick someone or a group that you would like to connect with or form a better connection.
**What ?- What do you want the connection to be about ?
**Where ?- Where will you meet ? (If virtual, give meeting information)
**When ? – September 16, Time?
**Why ? – What do you want to accomplish ? Or why is forming a connection important to you or the group ?
**How ? – What rules and guidelines need to be in place to make this successful ?
Questions to consider for Listening to Connect
1. Whom would you want to connect with ? Is there someone from whom you feel disconnected and you wish to amend the disconnect and bridge the gap? Why would this be desirable for you ?
2. What is getting in the way of his connection ? What are undesirable consequences of the disconnect that you are experiencing ? What would feel different in your life if you could re-connect ? How would you know that the connection is beginning to happen and the controversy has been diminished ? How would life be easier ? How would feel the relief ?
3. Begin to explore where the disconnection is. What are the areas you disagree on ? What is or has been the way to connect ? How big is the obstacle really ? If you think about it: It is more hurtful to experience the disconnect or to remove the barriers that are in the way ?
4. What do you have in common with this person or group of people ? How could you start the conversations to create a listening moment for connecting ? Spend some time identifying the areas of commonality, and these don’t need to be big areas or serious areas. The point is to show that you do have some connections already. (i.e. You both have pets, or children, or you like to read or go to movies or travel).
5. Once you have thought through these questions, you can proceed to action:
+ Have each person explain his or her position, and then have someone else echo what the person said, in order to make sure that you rally do understand their positions and that you aren’t making assumptions about the positions. It also shows the other person that you listened.
+ After everyone has stated his/her position, you could choose one area to explore your differences and see if there is middle ground you ca agree on.
+ Or you can discuss how you can ” live with ” the other person’s position (agree to disagree, but how will you make this work). Is it really necessary to be in the agreement or once you understand each other’s positions, can you agree to disagree ?
+ Or you can adopt the positions that the relationship is more important that agreeing on this topic and perhaps agree not to bring it p again if possible, or set other boundaries for keeping the connection.
6. Another approach is to prioritize the areas where you disagree and tackle one at a time with suggestions in number 5.
How can you help?
For the IDL to stay visible at the surface:
Go to IDL Social Media pages (addresses here), like us, follow us and make comments everywhere you can.
For the IDL to emerge, shine and have an impact:
Go to How to Participate page on IDL website, be inspired and inspire others.
We need you!
What is your particular talent with which you could contribute?
Let us know how you would participate in our next chapter ! (see list below)
In Human Resources and Financial Resources we need several persons in the following teams. It can go from leading a team (general coordination and search for helpers) or accomplishing a small task according to the time you have.
All details on this page
In the aim to go more international, we also count on people located in places where people speak other languages than American-English. Please let us know:
- who and where you are so we can build a map
- if you are available to help with translations of our texts and videos
How can we help with your questions or ideas?